Can ethical digital advertising change the world? Technological advances, new forms of communication and the rise of social media have consolidated the internet as one of the great platforms for advertising. This, in turn, has led to the appearance of new formats to create advertisements on digital media. For this reason, reviewing these new formats and establishing a series of legal and ethical principles becomes the great challenge for all of us dedicated to digital advertising .
From Cyberclick , we go one step further with respect to the definition of ethical digital advertising . Not only is it a concept that refers to how we project the advertising we do and what legal, moral and respect principles are behind when it comes to selling products and services, but it can also serve to achieve a better and fairer world.
The 5 premises of Ethical Digital Advertising
- 1 # Ethical and legal digital advertising – Assume that all the advertising you carry out follows the rules set by the client and complies with the legislation set in the country where the work is performed. This is undoubtedly the key point for ethical online advertising . We marketers do not have to stick to doing the job and achieve results, we have to go one step further and try to do things well and add value to anyone who sees our work.
- 2 # No to fraudulent advertising – Another of the fundamental pillars or rules to ensure that digital advertising meets certain values is to avoid fraudulent messages to achieve the objectives promised to the client. Honesty and transparency are vital . In this sense, it is not worth lying to our clients using unethical techniques or strategies. On the contrary, we must focus on those formats and messages that add value to the public. Advertising can contribute to a better and fairer world if used correctly and honestly.
- 3 # Intrusive advertising does not think about the consumer – First of all, we have to think about the user. In this sense, Digital Ads must avoid being intrusive. That is, that advertising that appears before the user and is forced to consume. This is not thinking about the consumer and it generates a bad image since it is annoying . We must reject this type of advertising and bet on non-intrusive formats that can add value to users . Intrusive advertising, not only produces a huge rejection in the user, but, in the long run, does not usually give good results. Make an effort to do things well and you will get your reward.
- 4 # Harmony. The concept of harmony refers to the connection or the butterfly effect that an advertising message produces in another. In advertising, everything is connected. Therefore, an announcement from today may have an impact on another from tomorrow. Similarly, an advertising message in one specific format may affect another in a different format. The ethics applied to marketing and digital advertising is also closely related to the philosophy of the company behind it, its efforts, initiatives, strengths or shortcomings. We must be aware that the stories that we marketers create and spread have always influenced the public. This gives us great power that we must use positively, reinforcing our social commitment to people and their well-being.
- 5 # Full transparency with our clients. The relationship between the creative or marketing and advertising company and the client should be as close as possible. Trust and transparency must take precedence over everything. For this reason, it is vitally important that we transfer to the clients all the results obtained by our work with the maximum possible transparency. In this way, we all win. There is no use trying to hide some details or results, we must be honest and 100% honest with them.
More ethical digital advertising
In short, now that you know what Digital Ethical Advertising is and are aware of the 5 key points to make your advertising change the world, it is time to put them into practice in your day to day. Positive results must be linked to advertising ethics. It is useless to do things without values behind, if positive results are not achieved. Hence, the challenge is to find the formula, based on effort and dedication, to advertise under the mandates of ethics and, at the same time, achieve the objectives set by the client.
We must be aware of the enormous power that we as marketers have over public opinion. For this reason, we must take care of every aspect of our work and defend our profession by doing things well. Advertising is everywhere, let’s make it serve something much more important than selling a product or service. What if we start working to achieve, through advertising, a better and fairer world?